Introduction to 3D printing
*The event has already taken place on this date: Mon, 08/24/2020
Please help us keep this calendar up to date! If this activity is sold out, canceled, or otherwise needs alteration, email email@example.com so we can update it immediately.
3D printing Level 1
Learn design, engineering, and technical software skills in our live online classes. Control 3D printers through your web browser and watch them print your models in real-time.
This is the first step in your child’s 3D printing journey. In this 5-day class your child will:
- Design 2 objects using online computer-aided design software TinkerCAD.
- Assign settings to a 3D printer online.
- Control a 3D printer remotely to print their object.
Each live class is limited to 4 students, so everyone receives individual attention from our qualified product design instructors. Students will not just learn about software but also the basics of product design from idea to manufacturing.
- In lesson 1 the student will explore basic 3D printing concepts and practice making their first design which they will print remotely.
- In lesson 2 they will build on their initial experience and make a complex shape.
- In lesson 3 they will print remotely by setting up a 3D printer.
- In lesson 4 they will design their second object.
- In lesson 5 they will print their second object.
Prerequisites for level 1
- Your child should be able to operate a computer and navigate the internet independently.
- Please provide a computer that can connect to the internet and has audio and video capabilities. We will use Zoom to run the lessons.
- All software will be accessed online so ensure that the latest version of a web browser like Chrome is installed on the computer.
- A computer with any of these operating systems (Windows, Apple or Chromebook) can be used.
- Touch screen tablets or phones cannot be used for the design portion of this class.
- Use of a wired or wireless mouse is preferred.
Class instruction will be conducted using Zoom. An email with the link and entry password to your Zoom meeting will be sent to your registered email address approximately:
- 2 days before your class is about to start.
- 30 minutes before your class is about to start.
Sample level 1 Projects
- Personalized 3 letter key chain
- Personalized human/animal shaped tag
- Emoji tag
- Personalized earbud holder
- Personalized signet ring
- Personalized bracelet
*Times, dates, and prices of any activity posted to our calendars are subject to change. Please be sure to click through directly to the organization’s website to verify.